.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

7-year-old South Jeffco burn victim succumbs to injuries

-A A +A
By AJ Vicens

Logan Miles, the 7-year-old boy who was severely injured in a July 17 house fire, has died from his injuries.

Family members say the boy died Aug. 6 after surgery related to his injuries at a California hospital, according to Marni Gusich, one of the boy’s aunts.

“Considering how bad he was burned, he was doing well,” Gusich said. “But overall he was still in critical condition.”

Miles was burned over 90 percent of his body with second- and third-degree burns, according to Micki Trost, spokeswoman for West Metro Fire Rescue. He was burned after accidentally starting a fire in a bedroom closet July 17 while his mother and 8-year-old sister were in another room. When his mother heard the smoke detectors, she pulled him from the closet, suffering burns on her hands and feet.

Trost praised Miles’ sister for her poise as she called police, directing responders to the family’s town home. Family members said she was able to accurately describe her brother’s injuries. Miles was rushed to Swedish Medical Center, and then taken to Children’s Hospital in Aurora. From there, the boy was sent to a Shriners Hospital in California for treatment. Shriners hospitals are world-renown for burn care.

Gusich said Miles mother, father and sister were in California with him when he died.

“They’re grateful and we’re all grateful that they were there with him,” Gusich said. “We want people to know he was completely loved, and we’ll be missing him.”

Gretchen Gusich, another of Miles’ aunts, said the family appreciated the support from the community.

“We’d like to thank the community for the outpouring of love and support and prayers,” Gretchen Gusich said. “We hope other people feel comforted that Logan is with God now.”

Both aunts also wanted people to know that Miles’ grandparents loved him dearly, and are devastated by his death. They haven’t seen him since before the fire.

Regina Tirella, a family friend, is organizing a fund-raiser to benefit the family and the Shriners Hospital.

The fundraiser will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 22 at the Chic-Fil-A on South Kipling Parkway near C-470. During that time, 15 to 20 percent of the cost of all items sold will go to the family. West Metro Fire Rescue will also be conducting fire education at the fund-raiser.

West Metro Fire Rescue spokeswoman Cindy Matthews said that fire crews will be at the fund-raiser for fire engine tours and juvenile fire-setting education.

“The sad thing is that this death was preventable,” Matthews said. “Fire deaths like this are preventable, and we hate to see families not take advantage of education that may help them and help their children not have this fate.”

Matthews said the majority of children that die in fires die in fires that they set. That’s why West Metro Fire Rescue and many other fire departments offer free youth fire education.

Contact AJ Vicens at aj@evergreenco.com, and check www.columbinecourer.com for updates and breaking news.