An explosion at a townhome in Littleton on Saturday night that sent a man to the hospital allegedly was caused by butane being used to make marijuana hash oil, according to the Jeffco Sheriff’s Office.
A man and a woman in the unit, which is south of Coal Mine Avenue and east of Kipling Parkway, were using butane to make the marijuana byproduct when the explosion occurred, the Sheriff's Office said. Two children, a 3-year-old and an 8-month-old, also were in the townhome but were uninjured.
The couple could face arson and child abuse charges. The children are staying with other family members, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
Butane can be used to extract THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, and create what is referred to by some as "marijuana wax."
There have been several cases recently where butane or another flammable compound used to extract THC caused an explosion, including last week at a marijuana grow operation in southwest Denver.