Nothing settled between rivals

-A A +A
By Dan Johnson

It was a game only a goalie could appreciate.

Last Wednesday’s ice hockey game between cross-town rivals Chatfield and Columbine saw lots of hard-hitting and several key saves on both sides. But, the most important category -- goals -- didn’t budge the entire game.

The Chargers and Rebels skated to a 0-0 tie at the Edge Ice Arena, leaving neither team completely satisfied with the outcome.

“I’m disappointed,” said Chatfield goalie Cory Johnson, who stopped 18 shots. “I played that good, we get a shutout and we still can’t win. We had a lot of chances, we just couldn’t put them in the net.”

Johnson said the lack of scoring put more pressure on his shoulders.

“If I let in a goal, the game’s pretty much over,” Johnson said. “It’d be my fault if they scored. So yeah, it was definitely more pressure to keep them off the scoreboard.”

The Chargers (3-3-1) appeared to have scored in the game’s first minute when Lucas Bisbee knocked in a shot off a nice feed from Kristopher Boguniewicz, but the goal was waved off when it was determined Bisbee was in the crease before the shot left his stick.

Despite having the goal disallowed, Chatfield continued to pressure Columbine (1-4-1) and dominated the first period. The Rebels stayed in the game, largely due to the play of their own goalie, Jordan Garkow. Garkow (20 saves) made a great stop on a shot by Chatfield’s Nicholas Kroha from point-blank range.

Chatfield continued to press the action in the second period, but again, were unable to finish. By the end of the period, Columbine began to ramp up its intensity and were the ones pushing the attack.

The Rebels’ aggressiveness carried over into the third period, where they fired eight shots on net. Johnson was up to the task, turning all of them away, including a nice stop on a Rollin Schuler shot from close range.

“We changed our forechecking,” Columbine coach Jeff Marten said. “Chatfield does a lot of puck movement with their two defensemen, so we pushed our forwards up a little higher, took away their passing lanes and gave ourselves some momentum.”

In the game’s final three minutes, Columbine’s Steve Streeter was tripped up on a breakaway. The Rebels hoped for a penalty shot, but it wasn’t awarded and the ensuing power-play failed to produce any strong scoring chances.

In the overtime session, each team had a good look on net, but Johnson and Garkow again stood tall.