Overtime goal propels Chargers past Rebels

-A A +A
By Lauren Gaddie-Johnson

Leave it up to a kid who doesn’t know much about the deeply-rooted rivalry between Columbine and Chatfield to score the winning goal in a game that meant so much to both schools.

Mickey Salva, a sophomore who transferred from Chattahoochee High School outside of Atlanta, Georgia, scored the game-winning goal in overtime last Wednesday night, which gave the Chatfield boys hockey team a 2-1 Class 5A Foothills Conference victory and bragging rights on the ice.

“I’ve never seen anything like this before in high school hockey,” Salva said. “This is a big step up for me. Hockey isn’t this big of a deal in the South.”

It was a standing-room only crowd at the Edge Ice Arena. Columbine and Chatfield fans filled the stands and were lined up three deep behind the glass.

With the game tied 1-1 after three periods, the two teams went into an 8-minute, sudden-victory overtime period. Salva got his chance with just 2:11 remaining in extra period, as he took a quick pass from Lucas Bisbee and slapped the puck into the net just under the Columbine goalie’s pads.

“They were just coming around the net hard and by the time I got over to the next guy, he made a quick pass out to the front and he (Salva) just took the shot,” said Columbine goalie Jordan Garkow. “I didn’t see him there (to the side) and it caught me off guard.”

Chatfield’s Kristofer Boguniewicz scored the game’s first goal with 2:33 remaining in the first period on an assist by Zachary Amstutz. The Chargers had a two-man advantage at the time of the goal.

Columbine had its own 5-on-3 power play opportunity in the final minute of the first period, but couldn’t capitalize as time ran out.

Chatfield goalie Cory Johnson made a nice save for the Chargers just two minutes into the second period and managed to keep the Rebels out the net until the 6:40 mark.

Columbine junior Cory Kline knocked the puck in to tie the game at one.

In the third period, both teams looked tired and didn’t show as much grace in the passing game.

With 2:02 remaining in regulation, Columbine got another 5-on-3 power play chance. As time ticked away, Columbine’s Joe Frechette took a powerful shot which sailed over the wall to the right side of the goal.

Chatfield’s two skaters returned to the ice from the penalty box and Johnson made another impressive save as Columbine’s Steve Streeter took a shot on goal with less than one minute to play in regulation.

Rollin Schuler took a final shot at the Chargers’ net with eight seconds remaining, but Chatfield’s defense kept Columbine at bay.

“This was the biggest game of the year,” Schuler said. “Since we tied last time (0-0 back in December) this meant more. I thought we were evenly matched, but we really could have played better during those power plays.”

Chatfield captain, Kyle Kube, agreed that the matchup was the biggest of the season.

“For us seniors, it was the last time we got to play Columbine,” Kube said. “We’re big rivals and this was a big turnaround game for us because we were coming off a four-game losing streak.”