Potts, Chargers rally past Eagles

-A A +A

Chatfield shakes off early offensive funk with a second-half explosion

By Will Petersen
For the Courier
LAKEWOOD — Eric Potts had a bag of ice firmly planted on his left cheek, and for most of the post-game it stayed there.
“That’s just from all the hits to the face after scoring. I’m just icing it up,” Potts said.
Score, he did. Potts buried four goals, teammate Jacob Larsen added three and Chatfield rallied from a mini-deficit to beat Dakota Ridge 13-8 on April 5 at Trailblazer Stadium.
“It’s a good win, but I probably am most happy with my four goals,” Potts said with a laugh.
The Chargers (3-2, 2-1 5A Foothills Conference) trailed the Eagles 4-2 early in the second quarter before scoring 11 of the final 15 goals.
“Four to two in a lacrosse game is a pretty small margin. You can’t get too high or too low. Just keep fighting and that’s what our guys did,” Chatfield head coach Kevin O’Brien said.
Leading 6-5 at halftime Chatfield was able to create separation throughout the second half. Potts scored a gorgeous goal streaking down the left side and beating Dakota Ridge’s goalie between the legs to make it 10-6 early in the fourth quarter. Larsen scored the final goal, with 2 minutes, 51 seconds left, to extend the Chargers lead to 13-7, their largest of the afternoon.
“In the locker room at halftime we fired everyone up and got it going. We started working as a team more and built that big lead,” Larsen said.
Dakota Ridge (2-5, 1-2), in its first year as a varsity program, managed only three goals in the second half while giving up seven.
“We’re just so young. We’ve got a lot of learning to do. We had it really easy as a JV last year and today our guys just weren’t up for the task,” Eagles head coach Mike Thumim said.
Tyson Butler led the Eagles with three goals. He fired one top shelf with 2:05 left in the third quarter to get Dakota Ridge back within three at 9-6, but that’s as close as it would get the rest of the way.
 The game was the first in two weeks for the Chargers, mostly due to the school’s spring break. Any rust that remained was shaken off at halftime.
“To see them come out after two weeks off and work as hard as they did it was cool. The game is a lot about effort and we showed a lot today,” O’Brien said.