A stretch of South Simms Street that has been closed since July due to a large sinkhole partially opened on Thursday.
Two lanes of the four-lane street are open, now that initial repairs beneath Simms are finished. The 400-square-foot sinkhole appeared June 25 near Ward Street after a metal culvert failed.
The road had been closed while a construction crew dug debris from the culvert. The crew had planned to slide in the new 100-foot-long culvert through the failed culvert, but debris and a collapsed section meant the original culvert had to be removed.
“We had to have hand-digging and had cutting that wasn't planned. We thought it would be open a lot more quickly,” said Jeffco Development and Transportation Director Jeanie Rossillon. “Sometimes they were only able to move that pipe in at one foot a day.”
Rosillion said the county had received complaints about the street being closed when no construction crew was visible.
Vehicles driving in the two lanes that are now open must drive cross metal plates as the work continues, Rossillon said. The repairs are scheduled to be finished by September.