Wet weather, poor officiating doom Chatfield

-A A +A

Host Chaparral ends Lady Chargers’ season in the first round of the 5A tournament

By Will Petersen
For the Courier
PARKER — A guy on a John Deere had to plow the field at halftime because of water.
Chatfield’s girls soccer team saw its season come to an end with a 3-1 loss to Chaparral in monsoon-like conditions in the first round of the 5A state playoffs on May 8 at Sports Authority Stadium.
Rain poured almost the entire game and several puddles formed on the synthetic turf field and the sidelines.
“We didn’t react as well as we should’ve to the conditions. Their first goal and our goal were both condition-related. It’s unfortunate,” Chatfield head coach Brock Blume said.
Chaparral, seeded 13th, struck first early in the first half to go up 1-0, but the Lady Chargers quickly responded with a goal from senior Ella Gray just a couple of minutes later. A scramble in the box after a corner kick led to the ball squirting to Gray’s feet. She booted it into a slice of open net.
With 10 minutes left in the first half the Lady Wolverines took the lead for good off a corner kick of their own and added an insurance goal 12 minutes into the second half to secure the win. Scoring for Chaparral were Katie Vanderzwaag, Hannah Thomas and Charlotte Hume.
The 20th-seeded Lady Chargers (8-6-2) had their chances, mustering 10 shots on goal and playing a fairly even possession game.
With under a minute to go in the first half a loose ball came to the feet of Alexis DeNiece at the top of the box and she fired a laser that looked like it was going in but Chaparral goalie Lauren Bound made a great save to preserve her team’s 2-1 lead.
“I’m disappointed with the performance today. Right now it stings losing in that fashion to a team we thought we could beat,” Blume said.
The officiating was questionable as well. On Chaparral’s second goal it appeared as if multiple players were offside, something Blume lamented after the game.
Also, with about 11 minutes to go in the game Chatfield’s Bree Bezdek was taken down by a slide tackle three to four feet inside the box. The side referee blew his whistle to call a foul, and after a brief conservation with the head referee, awarded the Chargers a free kick just outside of the box instead of a penalty kick from within it.
“You definitely hope you get a little bit better than that for a playoff game. You get referees that know the rules. It’s beyond pathetic,” Blume said.
Chaparral’s stay in the tournament was over in the next round after a 2-0 loss to fourth-seeded Fossil Ridge, which defeated Dakota Ridge in overtime in the first round.